CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

About A Boy

This was my second Nick Hornby book (I read High Fidelity a few months back). I have to say that I'm totally sold. Mr. Hornby is welcomed into the AFA Club (Abby's Favorite Authors- President Ayn Rand).

This book was also made into a movie, the movie strayed a bit more from the original plot than High Fidelity. I liked the way it was in the book better for a book though. The climatic concert in the movie was effective for a film, but the awkward police fiasco in the book was a better read.

One of the big differences was the setting, its still set in London, but the book centers its timeline around the death of Kurt Cobain and the film is in the more modern Hip-Hop era. It translates surprisingly well though. The theme of a kid who doesn't fit in and a man who is too cool for his own good works in pretty much any time period.

So I recommend this book, its endlessly amusing and the fact that the main character is not a good person is a total bonus. Good people are boring.